Students have lost interest in the everyday lunch meat sandwich and look to fast food for a tasty way to satisfy their hunger. However, these empty calories don’t keep students satisfied for long.
There is a misconception that healthy meals take too much time to put together, however, this is false. Healthy meals can be made in less than five minutes! Here are some fast, easy, and healthy back to school lunch ideas:
1) Turkey Hummus Wrap – With this wrap you can use any kind of tortilla you prefer. There is a wide variety of hummus flavors so experiment and see which you like best! After you have spread the hummus you are ready to put some turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado or any other vegetables you would like into the wrap.
*Sides for this meal include trail mix, strawberries, blueberries, and vanilla greek yogurt.
2) Whole Wheat Pasta – In order to keep this meal healthy, make sure you watch portion sizes. After your pasta is fully cooked, you may add organic pasta sauce, chopped cucumbers and tomatoes, or other vegetables that you would like.
*Sides for this meal include: Steamed broccoli sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and garlic salt, grapes, and blueberries.
3) Baby Spinach Salad – This salad is made up of baby spinach leaves, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese slices. While this salad goes great with oil and vinegar, you may choose whatever dressing you prefer.
*Sides for this meal include: bean salad (any mix of your favorite beans), and gluten free crackers with a light creamy swiss spreadable cheese wedge.
4) Egg Salad Sandwich – You can create an egg salad sandwich at home with hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise (use sparingly), and chopped tomatoes. Mix all the ingredients together and put it inside two whole wheat bread slices.
*Sides for this meal include: Dark chocolate Hershey kisses and raspberries
5) Almond Butter and Jelly Sandwich – This sandwich gives a healthy twist to the original peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Use almond butter in place of peanut butter and organic fruit jelly. Add sliced bananas to the top of the spread and place it inside two whole wheat bread slices. To change it up a bit, you can also put these into mini pita breads.
*Sides for this meal include: Strawberries with low fat whipped cream and three small oatmeal cookies.
School lunches that are prepared at home are not necessarily as time consuming as most individuals believe. These five quick and healthy lunch ideas will satisfy children’s’ hunger and provide inspiration for more healthy lunches to come.