Wednesday night we had the pleasure of attending Canada’s performance at The Casino Lac-Leamy Sound of Light. Since it was going to be a late night we got a sitter for Little Brother and headed out just the 3 of us to spend some quality time with Big Brother.
We got to the Museum of History at about 7pm and quickly learned why they say you should get there when they site opens at 6. Many of the awesome spots were already taken. We did still manage to get a pretty good spot but we did have a tree blocking some of our view. We laid out our blanket and kicked back to relax.
It started to rain shortly before the fireworks started. Lucky for us I checked the radar and we all brought umbrellas with us. The family beside us only had 1 umbrella for the 5 of them and the poor mom was stuck sitting in the rain as the rest of the family huddled under the umbrella. We lent her Big Brothers spider-man umbrella and he cuddled with me under mine.
The event is rain or shine so the show went on. There were many moans when we were asked to stand for the National Anthem but for me it was a proud moment. I stood there with my family under our umbrellas getting to look at Parliament Hill while our National Anthem played. A true patriotic moment for me.
About 10 minutes into the show the rain stopped so we were all able to put away our umbrellas and enjoy the rest of the show. I made sure to keep looking at my family to see their reactions and both Tobei and Big Brother were just memorized. Not once did they look back at me as their eyes were straight ahead on the show.
I managed to take a video of some of it. About 15 seconds into the video one of my favourite songs (November Rain by Guns N Roses) plays. The video does NOT do the show justice. If you are in the Ottawa/Gatineau area I strongly encourage you to rearrange your schedule and check out a performance before it ends for another year.
[Tweet “5 Tips for attending @GrandsFeux Sound of Light show.”]
Nolie’s Tips for Casino Lac-Leamy Sound of Light
- Bring money. This seems to be a common theme. I guess we are one of those families that never have cash on us. There were vendors and activities on site that you will need some cold hard cash for.
- Arrive when the site opens. This will ensure you get some prime grass real estate to watch the show.
- Bring an umbrella and sunscreen. It’s summer so be prepared for any kind of weather.
- Bring a blanket. This helps lay claim to your real estate and is much more comfortable then sitting on the actual grass for 3+ hours.
- Park off site. Parking at the museum is $12.50 and you can’t get out of the parking lots until the road opens up at 10:15. So park a few blocks away and walk to the site.
Casino Lac-Leamy Sound of Light Visitor Information
General Admission to the Bell Fibe zone is only $5. Kids under 11 are free when accompanied by a full price general admission ticket holder.
*Disclaimer: My family is being provided with access to the event. As always all opinions are my own.*