Spring is the time when you start opening the windows and letting the fresh air in. It’s also usually a common time for most people to clean. A lot of times it’s difficult when you’ve got children around.
Cleaning isn’t really all that fun, but there are ways to make it fun and involve your children.
10 Ways to Make Spring Cleaning Fun for the Family
- Make a game of how much trash in the yard can be picked up. This is something you can do if you have more than one child. You can reward the winner or both however you desire.
- Dust high, while your children dust low. Of course, you dont want to have the dust fall on your kid, so start and allow your kid to follow. Instruct them what to dust while you go. Make it educational as to why it’s important to dust so they connect early on a logical reason to this chore. Note: Avoid having them handle chemicals by giving them an actual duster.
- Try out a mop race. If you have more than one mop, try a mop race in sometime. To do a mop race, at one end of the room, put a sponge on the floor fo each participant. Give each person a wet mop. When you say ‘Go’, they will push the sponge with the mop to the other end of the floor and back. Promise to reward them with a snack chosen by the winner.
- Pick up toys and then do a tea party. This is something that you can do if you have a girl. This gives them the reward of your time and a nice memory.
- Ask your child to hold the butler (dust pan) while you sweep. This allows them to feel involved and you can reward them with a small snack.
- Involve your child in gardening by teaching them how to plant a flower or tree. It make take extra time, but allowing them to plant something also lets them learn to appreciate nature more.
- Teach your child about recycling and making a question game of Paper Plastic, or Aluminum. Ask them to pick up an place some items in the proper bin. Also, remember to teach them how important recycling to be. Follow up with rewarding them with a snack. As a bonus, you may even want to take your child to a local recycling facility so they can see more of the process.
- Vacuum together. For small children, it’s tough to find something they can do. Often they get in the way because they don’t understand. Toys like the popper vacuum are a great early tool to teach responsibility in cleaning. It may not be a real vacuum, but while you’re vacuuming the floor, they can play along with you.
- On the hotter days of spring, have a water fight while washing your car. On the days of late May and early June, some days may be hotter. Instead of going to a car wash, have the family do it, and have a water fight when you’re done. Don’t forget to bring in some water guns and balloons for extra fun. 🙂
- Also, on hotter days, if you’ve got a dog, try washing the dog outside and have a water fight afterwards. You have lots of fun and a clean dog too!
These are just a few ideas of how you can have fun with spring cleaning. If you’ve tried any, feel free to share your experience. Do you have any ideas on how to make spring cleaning fun for your family that is not already listed here?